Hey fukurou, This coding forum that you're talking about creating --

mkdir

Weeb
Administrator
Got the Pi. I'll be playing with it a bit. It looks like the NOOBS boot loader can connect to Wifi and automatically install different OSes. Most of the options aren't of interest, but there is a "Raspbian Lite" that looks like Debian without a desktop environment and takes 1.2 GB. The desktop environment install takes about 2.4 GB. And the "full" Raspbian install takes like 4.something GB. That's out of 32 GB for the default card. So you're not going to be hosting much video if we go this route because I'm not shelling out for a 128GB SD card. ;-)

mkdir

Weeb
Administrator
can you explain to me how this work? do you guys ship a PI to the VPS?
You get the address and probably some kind of order number for hooking it up. You send it to them set up however you want it. They hook it up and assign your static IP. Then you can ssh in to the designated IP. At least, I assume that's how it works.

mkdir

Weeb
Administrator
So fucking gay. They advertise "we'll host you on a Raspberry Pi." Well, this is what you get:

Code:
         _,met$$$$$gg.           user@RC755
      ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.        OS: Debian 8.11 jessie
    ,g$$P""       """Y$$.".      Kernel: x86_64 Linux 3.16.0-7-amd64
   ,$$P'              `$$$.      Uptime: 21h 36m
  ',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:    Packages: 898
  `d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$     Shell: bash 4.3.30
   $$P      d$'     ,    $$P     CPU: Common KVM @ 2.4GHz
   $$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'     RAM: 388MB / 999MB
   $$\;      Y$b._   _,d$P'     
   Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'         
   `$$b      "-.__             
    `Y$$                       
     `Y$$.                     
       `$$b.                   
         `Y$$b.                 
            `"Y$b._             
                `""""

mkdir

Weeb
Administrator
The ONE thing that concerns me about hosting directly from a Pi is that the server has a 2.4 GHz core. The actual Pi 3 B+ I bought has a 1.4 GHz speed with, I think, 4 cores. I wonder if that'll slow down the sites, which currently seem to be performing well.

GameDevWeeb

ストーカー
You get the address and probably some kind of order number for hooking it up. You send it to them set up however you want it. They hook it up and assign your static IP. Then you can ssh in to the designated IP. At least, I assume that's how it works.
now it makes sense

Leucosticte

Hebephebophilic レイプcel
Administrator
Which to dl and how to use?
I think FileZilla is the more popular tool, especially since it's available on other platforms besides Windows, but WinScp will give you some limited ssh capability in case you need it for doing minor maintenance tasks from the shell (assuming you even have shell access on your host; a lot of times you have to specifically ask them to enable it).

fukurou

hadouken
Administrator
The problem is finding walkthrough that dont have a curry who made thwm. Those never work. Currys are scum when it comes to learning stuff.

Leucosticte

Hebephebophilic レイプcel
Administrator
The problem is finding walkthrough that dont have a curry who made thwm. Those never work. Currys are scum when it comes to learning stuff.
Include "digitalocean" in your search queries and also include the linux version you're dealing with on the server, if applicable

mkdir

Weeb
Administrator
Digitalocean and nixCraft have the best Linux tutorials. 99% of the time, shit actually works. I have no idea how curries end up posting shit that doesn't work. It's like did you even run this before posting online?

fukurou

hadouken
Administrator
Fuckin' plagiarist, stealing my advice. :-D
Actually i didnt use that linux stuff at all.
I always run in to that word online: linux.
Never understood WTF it was.

Building a forum site is a simple few step process really. Ill have a walkthrough soon enough. Another day another skill.

Basically just a host domain install mybb
And ftp some shit

fukurou

hadouken
Administrator
Filezilla. To use, you need a username, ip address, port (usually 22 for ssh), and password. Then Filezilla lets you navigate like a hierarchy. Don't even need to use commands like cd and mkdir. :-)
Filezilla didnt work so i pasted the ftp address with the credencials into a folder dir
Textbox. Top kek

GameDevWeeb

ストーカー
The ONE thing that concerns me about hosting directly from a Pi is that the server has a 2.4 GHz core. The actual Pi 3 B+ I bought has a 1.4 GHz speed with, I think, 4 cores. I wonder if that'll slow down the sites, which currently seem to be performing well.
can you use multi trheading?

Leucosticte

Hebephebophilic レイプcel
Administrator
it's a Kernel for Operanting system, it's like the alicerce to build a Operating System

here they are probaly going to use Debian or Raspeberian
$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=debian
HOME_URL="Debian -- The Universal Operating System"
SUPPORT_URL="Debian -- Support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="Debian bug tracking system"

That's just temporary, though; I think we're upgrading once @mkdir finishes preparing the replacement Raspberry Pi, which is going to be an actual dedicated server rather than just a VPS. Pretty exciting; I've never had a dedi before. It's going to have twice as much storage, too, which means more space for teen nudist vids and such for us to stream.

Last edited:

GameDevWeeb

ストーカー
$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=debian
HOME_URL="Debian -- The Universal Operating System"
SUPPORT_URL="Debian -- Support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="Debian bug tracking system"

That's just temporary, though; I think we're upgrading once @mkdir finishes preparing the replacement Raspberry Pi, which is going to be an actual dedicated server rather than just a VPS. Pretty exciting; I've never had a dedi before. It's going to have twice as much RAM, too, which means more space for teen nudist vids and such for us to stream.
this mean the server going offline less

RopeBoyo

終わりだ、ボヨ。
Hi, you guys need any help setting up the forum? I'm more or less on the same boat as @GameDevWeeb . I'll start studying front-end stuff after this Monday and then go for mobile. I have some experience with Debian-based systems but only as client tbh. If you guys have a place on the team let me know...

mkdir

Weeb
Administrator
Basically, it looks like I'm going to try to install Debian Buster on a Raspberry Pi and ship it to somewhere when I have it ready. Then it will be assigned an IP address and you shell into that. I'm a wagecuck tho so it ain't gonna happen overnight. Shouldn't be too bad since there's an armhf architecture ISO available.

Leucosticte

Hebephebophilic レイプcel
Administrator
I'm a wagecuck tho
Nah man, you dominate the workplace, you take a whip to them and make them pay you as much as the market will bear for someone whose labor gets misallocated to hunting down elbows or waiting for tech support half the time.