How much Japanese/Korean/another Asian language do you speak?

RegisterUserName

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕
Administrator
I know @Zesto speaks some Japanese and is still learning, but I was wondering how much of the language of the respective country you wish to visit's language you already or intend to learn to speak. That's a mouthful ngl

Zesto

LeonMaxxed
Staff member
Administrator
J-Pop Idol
I know @Zesto speaks some Japanese and is still learning, but I was wondering how much of the language of the respective country you wish to visit's language you already or intend to learn to speak. That's a mouthful ngl
Watashi wa Nihongo-ga sekooshi wakarimasu mada jozu ja arimasen.

Meaning, I speak a little Japanese but I am not yet skilled.

The extent of my Japanese is some phrases, I can ask where an avenue is and other basic directions, order sake, say I am American, ask if they speak English, and can count from 0 to 9999.

Eventually I wish to become fully fluent.

Tsukiyama

21st Ward Gourmet
Mod
Shinigami
I know Hiragana and Katakana perfectly and I know about 800 kanjis. I also can read untranslated Japanese manga for children.

nekomimimodo

ネコミミモード
Staff member
Super Mod
Enough japanese to read kodomo manga and maybe doujins if I make use of a dictionary, but I take a lot of time. I still have a long way to go and would have made more progress if I made a better use of my time.

Zesto

LeonMaxxed
Staff member
Administrator
J-Pop Idol
I know Hiragana and Katakana perfectly and I know about 800 kanjis. I also can read untranslated Japanese manga for children.
Mogs me.

Shocked.gif

Enough japanese to read kodomo manga and maybe doujins if I make use of a dictionary, but I take a lot of time. I still have a long way to go and would have made more progress if I made a better use of my time.
Sigh.jpg

Same.

I don't :(

I've considered starting to learn Mandarin or Japanese, but I know it's gonna be a very hard and demanding task.

I'm gonna have to invest a lot of time and effort to pull through and I don't think I can do that at the moment.

But I would really like to be able to speak those languages. Maybe in the future things will change.

Zesto

LeonMaxxed
Staff member
Administrator
J-Pop Idol
I don't :(

I've considered starting to learn Mandarin or Japanese, but I know it's gonna be a very hard and demanding task.

I'm gonna have to invest a lot of time and effort to pull through and I don't think I can do that at the moment.

But I would really like to be able to speak those languages. Maybe in the future things will change.
I honestly want to be able to speak Japanese, Mandarin, and Korean fluently. (In that order).

Zesto

LeonMaxxed
Staff member
Administrator
J-Pop Idol
You better study harder nigga
I am such a lazy American and being realistic Japanese may be the only language I am capable of reaching fluency in (as well the only language I would need to).

Chinese and Korean is just so I can go to China and Korea and fully immerse myself in their cultures as well.

But Mandarin is kind of cope because China has all these retarded languages like Cantonese (Hong Kong) and Wu (Shanghai) but at least they all speak Mandarin.

nekomimimodo

ネコミミモード
Staff member
Super Mod
I am such a lazy American and being realistic Japanese may be the only language I am capable of reaching fluency in (as well the only language I would need to).

Chinese and Korean is just so I can go to China and Korea and fully immerse myself in their cultures as well.

But Mandarin is kind of cope because China has all these retarded languages like Cantonese (Hong Kong) and Wu (Shanghai) but at least they all speak Mandarin.
I read that being fluent at japanese makes learning mandaring easier and vice versa.
and Korean is supossed to be the easiest one of the bunch due to it having an alphabet instead of using Kanji.

SharkBait

Koreanmaxxing nigger 5'6
Mod

Focus my friend, I believe in you.

Zesto

LeonMaxxed
Staff member
Administrator
J-Pop Idol
I read that being fluent at japanese makes learning mandaring easier and vice versa.
and Korean is supossed to be the easiest one of the bunch due to it having an alphabet instead of using Kanji.
That is exactly correct.

If I had to rank the difficulty order I would say from easiest to hardest

Japanese > Korean > Mandarin

Japanese is easier to speak, but the writing systems are extremely hard compared to the simple Hangul alphabet of Korean.

Japanese and Mandarin have a lot of overlap due to their shared use of Chinese characters, though I believe some have different meanings in the two languages.

That's why I want to start with Japanese and eventually branch out to the other two languages, Mandarin and Korean.

Korean is last because I like K-Pop and manhwa but not that much, but there are lots of places I want to visit in China + Taiwan and Singapore.

Korean is 10x easier than Japanese
I disagree, the writing is 1000x easier but the actual spoken language has many sounds that aren't in English and are hard for westerners to produce unlike Japan which is phonetically an extremely easy language for an English speaker to pronounce if not the easiest.